- News / Media
- Mandala Magazine
- FPMT News
- Important Announcements
- Lama Zopa Rinpoche News
- RSS Feeds
- Social Media
- Videos, Photos, & Publications
- Education News
- Prayers & Practice Materials
- Mantras and Sutras
- Death and Dying
- Teachings and Advice
- Holy Objects
- FPMT Service Seminars
- Offer Your Support
- Buddhism FAQ
- Spiritual Guides
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- Lama Thubten Yeshe
- Lama Zopa Rinpoche
- Rinpoche’s Teachers
- Resident Teachers
- Touring Lamas
- Shugden/Dolgyal Information
- Make a Donation
- Charitable Projects
- News about Projects
- Other Projects within FPMT
- International Office Activities
- Give Where Most Needed
- About FPMT
- Join Friends of FPMT
- Osel Hita
- International Office
- Regional & National Offices
- Statements of Appreciation
- Volunteer & Jobs
- Annual Review
Building stupas helps develop so much peace and happiness for numberless sentient beings. As a result, wars, disease, and desire will all be pacified. Instead of feeling hopeless, people will gain courage. This is about peace – for the beings who see it, for the whole country, for the entire world, for all sentient beings.
100,000 Stupas for World Peace
Lama Zopa Rinpoche established the Stupa Fund in 1992 with the aim of providing the resources needed for building 100,000 stupas around the world, each a minimum height of 12 feet. Simply seeing a holy object such as a stupa becomes the cause to achieve inconceivable awakening and enlightenment by purifying defilements. This is the special advantage of holy objects, that just by their existence they make it so easy for all living beings to create merit.
The minute you see a holy object you create infinite merits,
So no question, if you actually make prostrations,
Offerings and so forth, you create far greater merit.
What is a Stupa?
Stupas, one of the most ancient icons in Buddhist art, are powerful symbols of the mind’s limitless potential. In other words, they represent the mind of enlightenment. Stupas are filled with sacred images, mantras and the relics of holy beings. Building or sponsoring a stupa is a very powerful way to accumulate merit and purify negative karma.
Stupas Completed/In Progress
Lama Zopa Rinpoche has already inspired the building of more than forty large stupas around the world, including:
- The Great Thousand Buddha Relic Stupa at Kopan Monastery in Nepal
- The Great Stupa of Universal Compassion being built in Australia
- The Kalachakra Stupa at Kurukulla Center, USA
- A Kadampa stupa in France
And many other stupas in Nepal, Spain, Italy, France, the United States, Canada, Iceland, Tibet, Australia, and New Zealand. Gallery of some of the stupas inspired by Lama Zopa Rinpoche.
We have created a page dedicated to documenting the incredible stupas being built around the world! Please rejoice and enjoy!
- Lama Zopa Rinpoche translated “Padmasambhava’s Instruction on Offerings to Stupas,” which details the benefits of prostrating to, circumambulating, making offerings, and offering service to stupas.
- You can learn more about stupas in this online collection, Stupas: a Resource Guide.
- “Stupas in Everyday Life,” advice from Lama Zopa Rinpoche.
- “Notable FPMT Holy Objects Around the World,” from Mandala magazine, April-June 2010.
How Can I Make a Donation?
To make a tax-deductible donation generally to the Stupa Fund
Or simply send your check in US dollars payable to FPMT Inc. and write “Stupa Fund” on the memo line.
1632 SE 11th Avenue
Portland, OR 97214-4702
The Stupa Fund is a project of FPMT Inc. and is administered by FPMT International Office located in Portland, Oregon, United States. All donations made to this fund are tax-deductible within the United States in accordance with IRS Code article 501(c)(3) to the extent allowed by law.
For more information please contact: Holly Ansett, Charitable Projects Coordinator.
- Tagged: fpmt projects
Buddhism is not saying that objects have no beauty whatsoever. They do have beauty. The craving mind, however, projects onto an object something that is beyond the relative level, which has nothing to do with that object. That mind is hallucinating, deluded and holding the wrong entity.
Portland, OR 97214-4702 USA
Tel (503) 808-1588 | Fax (503) 232-0557